Monday, December 17, 2007

Twelve Lines for Desiree

Twelve Lines for Desiree

I thought you were insane, but now I see
that you were much more rational than me -
although you put your reason on the shelf,
and loved someone who could not stand himself.
My poor self-image would not let me dream
that you could be exactly what you seemed:
someone who was accustomed, and inspired
to chase and catch the things that she desired.
I love myself a little now, it's true,
and in some part because I learned from you:
I hope a brighter measure of the light
you offered me is bathing you tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

the last two lines are excellent

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful.

Ophelia said...

I am not sure if I am posting a comment correctly, but I'll give it another try. This particular poem caught my eye. It is so simple and beautiful.