Friday, March 21, 2014

You Have Been Gone for Eight Years and Five Months,

It is November of 1980, and
The Philosopher says that Love
is the child of Plenty and Want.
You  Have been gone for eight years and five months,

but you are with me wherever I go -
you are with me at Manhattan College;
you are with me in Philosophy 101;
you are with me at the end of the beginning.

I know The Philosopher is right,
and I have known it for almost nine years:
not because I have come so far,
and yet I have so far to go;

not because there is so much to learn,
and I've burned all the midnight oil;
not even because I am Irish,
and our Tribe is a Terrible Beauty:

I know The Philosopher is right, because
you have been gone for eight years and five months,
but you are with me wherever I go:
“J.R.” stands for “Plenty” and “Want”

No comments: