Saturday, November 13, 2010

Odysseus and Rip Van Winkle Share a Cab to Stuyvesant Town

RIP:

"I do not understand this rush -
these cars, this anxious disarray -
and "neon" makes my eyeballs ache...."

ODY:

"Now let me get this straight:
You slept for twenty years?
You SLEPT for twenty years?"

RIP:

"I did. Tell me, Your Majesty,
have you been to a Starbucks yet?
Their mead is rather over-priced,
but I do like their scones...."


ODY:

"You had no trouble getting home?
You tricked no monsters? beat no odds?
You didn't piss off any gods?"


RIP:

"I'm not a church guy. FDR?
Leave it be, if it's not yours,
my good man - that's what I would do.
(whispered)
Do you know what this coachman means,
Your Majesty?"



ODY:

"You found a tree,
you finished off a keg of beer,
and slept for twenty freakin' years?!!!!
where was your wife while you were down?"

RIP:

"She was the meanest dame in town,
but now she's dead, God bless her.
That's just between us. How about yours?
I think you said she likes to weave? "

ODY:

"Pull over, slave: I do believe
I spy the fair Calypso -
or someone close enough for now."

No comments: