Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hard Feelings

Hard feelings like rotten meat
take up some of the space
and all of the air.
Hard feelings like rotten meat
Make everyone talk about
how nobody cares.

Hard feelings like latency,
disrupting the surface
with what’s always been there
Hard feelings like latency,
The invisible stranger
when the coast is clear.

Hard feelings like rotten meat…
Hard feelings like latency….
Hard feelings like ecstasy….

When I had you in my heart,
I was bound, and you were free.
Now I have you in my hands:
What a hell your life will be.

When I thought you were a ghost,
Every night I would pretend
You were at my beck and call:
But I did not call you friend.

Hard feelings like gaping holes:
They cry about nothing
and everyone hears.
Hard feelings like gaping holes:
they only sound muffled
when you cover your ears

Hard feelings like lonely souls:
their internal voices
are a chorus of jeers.
Hard feelings like lonely souls:
they come to the party
and there’s not enough chairs.

Hard feelings like gaping holes….
Hard feelings like lonely souls….
Hard feelings like placebos….

When I had you on my plate,
I could find no time for you.
Now I have you on my mind,
And there’s nothing I can do.

Now I’m sure that you’re a ghost,
And I’d love to make amends -
But your little time is done,
And I never called you friend.

No comments: