Sunday, June 28, 2009

One Woman; Three Sonnets.

For once I know exactly where I am
as God dispels the shadow from the Sun,
O'Clarity, sez I, you will not fail:
today's the day you tell her she's the one.
"A Woman is the Heaven You Must Leave." -
this vain lament wreaks havoc on my soul,
but when I say your name, it gives me peace,
and when I hear your voice, it makes me whole.
My days draw out as yawns, and have no form.
My years become dry instants for the flame,
but by this light, I'm learning to be warm,
and in this warmth,I'm possible again.
You may not love me, but at least you'll know:
I'll love you better through the ebb and flow.

Twice now, I've set those fire-enslaving jewels
too deep into the plaster of my crown
until they fell into my matted hair
and settled in the furrow of my brow.
When time comes for refreshment,let me pour:
I trickled brand-new blood on borrowed lace;
I ladled good ole blood on barroom floors,
and drizzled tears from my beleaguered face.
Now, let me cleanse it all with birthday coats
ridiculous upon this naked frame:
Now, let me clear this air of empty oaths,
and bind the burning wounds from former flames.
You may not love me, but at least you'll know:
I'll love you better through the ebb and flow.

One third was spent and much too long at toil.
One third was spent in pleasure's cold embrace.
One third spent weak inside exhaustion's coil
before the day I first beheld your face.
If you had no idea where I have been,
then I would keep it so forever, true -
but I would go through all of it again
If all of it would put me here with you:
I'd watch you as you slowly drew the shade,
and hold you as we lay ourselves to sleep,
O'Clarity, sez I, enshrine the day
when heaven granted you a soul to keep.
You may not love me, but at least you'll know:
I'll love you better through the ebb and flow.

No comments: